We bought a very plain, cheap lamp from Target and used some stencils from one of my favorite books Printing By Hand and walla! A very cute, unique lamp. It was super easy and took no time at all.
And I love how it looks
It was pretty easy, at cheap.
1. Buy lamp/lamp shade, acrylic pain (spray paint would be a lot easier) and sticky wall (or contact) paper.
2. Draw stencils of whatever you want onto the sticky paper and cut it out
3. Place on lamp shade
4. Paint or spray paint evenly,
5. Let dry (keep paper on)
6. Pain lamp base. I mixed a variety of browns to get the wood "feel". I used acrylic and it worked fine.
7. Paint the shade another one or couple coats to spread evenly
Annnnd.... thats about it. Wait for it to dry, pull the stencils off and you've got an awesome lamp!